We are currently looking for a Product Manager to bridge the gap between the technical and commercial teams, translating commercial requirements to technical briefs whilst remaining acutely aware of business strategy and associated core product values. This role demands strong domain knowledge (of farm production, farm input suppliers and food supply chain operations, challenges and behaviors) and the successful candidate will be required to keep abreast of domain trends and activity to feed these insights into informed product development discussion and decisions.
As part of a fast-paced, small, expanding enterprise the successful candidate will be an excellent team player with great interpersonal skills. They will be comfortable in taking the lead and using initiative, will have proven ability to deliver results under pressure, and will have the confidence and ability to inform and challenge in a structured fact-based way. Moreover, they will be passionate about engaging with businesses in the food sector to tackle the considerable challenges which it faces. This full-time role will be based at our office in Reading with fairly frequent travel to our Head Office in Harpenden anticipated.
- To develop and maintain mapping of industry data availability and requirements to inform prioritized data acquisition.
- To work with the commercial sales team to identify, define and evolve core product requirements which satisfy internal and external users.
- To operate alongside Project Management to establish work plans to facilitate the generation of a clear accurate delivery schedule to support the management of expectations in users.
- To take ownership of the continual review of requirements fed back from commercial and technical teams and challenge when appropriate against strategy to enable optimum product development.
- To be an active and coherent communicator of product vision and strategy from senior management and leadership into the technical team, whilst also empowering technical experts to challenge, test and refine solutions.
Essential skills & experience:
- A genuine passion, interest and knowledge of the farming and food industry to facilitate and strengthen the communications between commercial and technical teams.
- Very strong communication skills to enable clear translation of requirements and the effective delivery of a market leading product.
- The ability to conduct thorough, timely and relevant market research and use it effectively to inform product development. This includes continual review of the competitive landscape, the food and farming industry, and supporting the commercial team with target market research and technical pitches.
- Experience of the product development life-cycle of software and a top-line understanding of the different stages to the cycle.
- Awareness of the delivery of data and software as services.
- A thorough understanding of the role of a product manager.
Desirable skills & experience:
- Previous experience in a Product Manager role.
- Exposure to an agile development environment.
- Some experience with business analysis (capturing detailed requirements, writing user stories and testing the solutions).