Earth Observation Data Scientist
We are looking to appoint an experienced data scientist with a background in the use of remote sensing, particularly earth observation data with interests in building practical solutions to advance their use in agriculture. The successful candidate will be expected to develop models and software that has practical benefits, ultimately leading to data products for businesses in the agriculture and food sectors. The ideal candidate will have experience with machine learning, data assimilation methods or other approaches that combine mathematical and statistical models to derive new data and information services, and be able to develop demonstration software or new datasets through state-of-the art modelling or data science techniques.
As part of a fast-paced, small, expanding enterprise the successful candidate would need to be comfortable working collaboratively with our wider technical team comprising groups working across two sites. He/she will have excellent communication, time-management and organisational skills and will be comfortable working independently using his/her own initiative. He/she would also be expected to adopt approaches that are suited to a commercial setting. This role will be based at our office in Harpenden but will entail some travel as required.
- To develop and apply Earth Observation data analysis methods to develop improved methods for predicting agricultural production.
- To develop and apply data science methods (e.g. data assimilation) to create new or augment existing features of Data Platform.
- To develop data analysis and visualisation methods for agricultural, ecological and economic data as part of Professional Services Team.
- Project Management including organising requirements workshops and meetings with end-users and other stakeholders
Essential skills & experience:
- PhD in Ecoinformatics or Geomatics or related discipline linked with agricultural sciences.
- Applications of Earth Observation to Agricultural or Environmental problems.
- Familiarity with Earth Observation/Near/Remote Sensing data.
- Knowledge of Geographic Informatics Systems and statistical or mathematical modelling.
- Experience working with large scientific datasets.
- Software Development experience (at least 2 years).
- Excellent communication skills in order to present work in professional way both verbally and in writing.
Desirable skills & experience:
- Data assimilation and advanced data analytics
- First degree or equivalent experience in soil or crop science.
- Post-graduate degree or equivalent in data or computer science.
Please note, only candidates with permission to work in the UK will be considered.